WORKSHOPS, TALKS & EVENTS
Due to COVID-19 circumstances, we have decided to postpone the workshops to a future date this year to when there is a safe and workable time to participate.
Raising Resilience of Students
• Overcome Anxiety • Unlock Learning Potential • Strengthen Mental Toughness
Research shows that raising resilience in students helps them overcome anxiety, unlocks their learning potential and strengthens mental toughness.
This workshop will provide participants with practical ideas and proven strategies they can use to help students strengthen their resilience and to help unlock the learning potential of all students. Workshop activities will equip attendees with a skill-set to help raise the resilience of students of all ages through classroom curricula, school-wide practices and positive parental involvement.
Perth – Cancelled
Brisbane – POSTPONED
Sydney – POSTPONED
Melbourne – POSTPONED
Cost – $250 per person
Includes morning tea, lunch and workshop handouts.
Cost includes GST.
Professor Michael E. Bernard, Melbourne Graduate School of Education, Emeritus Professor, California State University (Long Beach) and Founder, You Can Do It! Education has authored and edited over 50+ books, 30 book chapters and numerous research articles on topics associated with child development, student achievement, resilience and stress. Michael will share what he has learned over the past several decades on how to strengthen resilience.
I am excited to be offering these workshops on school-home practices for strengthening resilience of young people. Helping students learn to change their thinking (cognitive restructuring) about stressful events that lead to excessive anxiety and learning inhibition by changing extreme, rigid negative attitudes is but one example.
I’ll present examples of robust curricula activities that help students develop greater resilience. I will be covering the age range of young people 3 – 25 years.
Most of all, this workshop will be practical, not theoretical or research heavy – attendees will leave with lots of things to say and do to raise student resilience – that’s a promise!
School principals, deputy/assistant principals, classroom teachers, student wellbeing coordinators, school psychologists, counsellors, mentors and student advisors.
The workshop is suited for participants who work in secondary, primary, early learning centres and those who work with young adults (18 – 25 yrs. olds) who work in universities/college and other settings.
Morning Session (9.00am)
Strengthening Inside World of Students
- Reasons why resilience is so low in our students
- The five elements of student resilience
- How anxiety and frustration intolerance block learning potential
- The two unhealthy attitudes that cause student anxiety (social, learning)
- Moving students to positivity: Techniques for re-structuring unhealthy attitudes
- Social-emotional skills that strengthen mental toughness
- Student self-talk and coping skills to raise resilience
- The YCDI! Education curricula for resilience
Afternoon Session (1.30pm)
Strengthening Outside World of Students
- Strengthening your own resilience for effective modelling
- Classroom practices that raise resilience and reduce student anxiety
- School-wide practices that raise resilience and reduce student anxiety
- Practical things you can say and do to help students with anxiety
- How to help parents become more resilient
Perth – Tuesday 24th March 2020, 9.00am – 3.30pm
Karstens: Level 1, 111 St Georges Terrace, Perth CBD
Brisbane – Thursday 26th March 2020, 9.00am – 3.30pm
Karstens: Level 24 / 215 Adelaide Street, Brisbane CBD
Sydney – Friday 27th March 2020, 9.00am – 3.30pm
Karstens: Level 1, 111 Harrington Street, The Rocks, Sydney
Melbourne – Wednesday 1st April 2020, 9.00am – 3.30pm
Karstens: 123 Queen Street, Melbourne CBD
- Cancellations less than 48 hours notice before the workshop date will not be refunded. A $50 admin fee will be charged for all other cancellations.
- Only the dietary requirements in the registration form can be provided.